Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Prologue

Welcome to the blog. It's interesting to note that the word 'blog' did not exist until recent times - the 21st century. So, what is a blog? It's a contraction of the term 'web log'. Basically an online diary, right? Well that's what stereotypical blogs sound like, and this definition is well accepted by the majority. However, I would beg to differ. The thing is, most people have misidentified the 'constant/fixed variable' here. They take 'writing about oneself' as the fixed variable in blogging. Yet, to me, the fixed variable is actually 'by who'. Think about it. You start a blog, you publish whatever you typed. It's by you. But the content is really not pre-determined; blogger doesn't have a law or policy stating that if you do not blog about yourself, your account would be terminated. No.

Let me tell you another interesting happening. The moment I published a thought on facebook that went "1st of February. New month, new blog? B-)", a friend of mine, an ex-classmate to be exact immediately commented, saying, "turning emo man?" Well concerning this particular person's comment, don't worry Li Onn I won't mention your name(Mr. Gerald would be proud), one can't help but ask why and how did he come to such a conclusion? It in fact ties with the first paragraph above. We all agree that most people treat blogs as personal diaries, so obviously that's how the emotions got connected with blogs. People have the tendency to pour out their hurts, frustrations, problems, essentially EMOTIONS into their respective blogs. Not that I'm saying it's wrong; you can do anything with your blog. But that's the pattern that is forming among bloggers these days. I, for one would like to break this standard idea about blogs, proving to my dear friend, (no worries Li Onn I won't mention your name at all, not even once =P) that it is in fact possible to blog without getting emotional. Nevertheless, I'm only human, and I have emotions, but I will try my best not to let my emotions get in the way whilst I blog.

So since I'm not going to blog about myself, what in the world am I going to blog here? For those of you dying to know the answer to that question, what I have typed so far should already give you an approximation. Only an approximation will it remain, however. That question does not have a definite answer. I can only tell you this:

"There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven.
A time to be born and a time to die.
A time to plant and a time to harvest.
A time to kill and a time to heal.
A time to tear down and a time to rebuild.
A time to cry and a time to laugh.
A time to grieve and a time to dance.
A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones.
A time to embrace and a time to turn away.
A time to search and a time to lose.
A time to keep and a time to throw away.
A time to tear and a time to mend.
A time to be quiet and a time to speak up.
A time to love and a time to hate.
A time for war and a time for peace."

~Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment